We proposed a hybrid qual-quant approach to address all of the client’s research objectives:
Qualitative phase: We conducted 49 web-enabled IDIs to develop a comprehensive understanding of the rational journeys of patients living with one or both conditions. To explore the emotional impact of the conditions, each respondent was asked to keep a ethnographic multi-media diary, detailing the key events in their journey using video clips and photos. Respondents provided ‘in-the-moment’ insights into their experiences of being diagnosed and living with one or both conditions.
Quantitative phase: To identify, quantify, and prioritise unique segments, we used our state-of-the-art segmentation solution. 501 online surveys were conducted using a range of gamification techniques, maximising the quality of the data collected. The survey questionnaire was designed to focus on potentially differentiating variables, but also included profiling and demographic variables to ensure a rounded picture of the segments could be developed.
We provided our client with a report which integrated the findings from both quantitative and qualitative phases of the research to create fully developed and realised portraits of each segment as well as immersive depictions of both the rational and emotional patient journey.
- We identified the origination, evaluation, diagnosis and standard of care treatment pathway for patients with one or both conditions
- A deep dive into the emotional impact of the condition on patients identified patient pain points which could be addressed using Product X
- We indicated areas of opportunity for Product X with each indication and identified and potential barriers to adoption
- We segmented the market of patients, assessing attitudinal, demographic, psychographic and behavioural dimensions which were the most differentiating and result in actionable groups for targeting and competitive advantage
- We identified possible leverage points and market gaps within segments and provided recommendations to address them
- We developed a typing tool for use by sales reps which helped to identify segment membership