A three phase segmentation process was used to identify critical mindsets, develop and refine the segmentation solution, and roll out the segmentation across key launch markets:
Phase 1 – Qualitative understanding and exploration:
- Hypothesis Generation – Group qualitative interviews were used to identify attitudes, needs, behaviours and environmental factors that may lead the segmentation.
- Validation and refinement – Learnings from groups were developed and refined in qualitative IDIs to provide the parameters to be included in the quantitative phase, define the range of topics to be covered and identify any local customization.
- Qualitative workshop – Findings from qualitative interviews were reviewed by core global and local teams with a focus on agreeing the key customer drivers and understandings to include in the quantitative interviews, and provide an opportunity to discuss any other hypotheses, environmental factors or profiling items to be incorporated.
Phase 2 – Quantitative data collection and analysis:
- Quantitative fieldwork – Online interviews were conducted with Specialists. Latent class analysis was used to identify clusters of attitudes and behaviours that define each segment, with client involvement at all stages of the analysis process to discuss the implications of each step and to decide on the chosen solution to roll out.
- Interim segmentation workshop – A workshop presentation was given outlining each segment solution and highlighting segmentation characteristics. A discussion on the findings and implications of each segment and preliminary segment names was undertaken.
- Final Segmentation and typing tool – The segmentation was then refined based on feedback from the interim workshop. Discriminant analysis identified key questions for the typing tool (refined with feedback from global team to ensure the tool is actionable)
Phase 3 – Implementation:
- Implementation workshops – Individual segmentation workshops were conducted with each local team to help them understand each segment, its implications and identification in the field, using tools such as pen portraits and infographic summaries. Practical implementation of segmentation at local level was discussed, including messaging recommendations, targeting strategies, channels and call plans.
The segmentation was used by our client to successfully drive engagement with each physician type and aided their sales teams by identifying the appropriate messages and communication channels that resonated with each physician group.